Tobias Okada-Phillips is a criminal defence lawyer and associate with Paul Lewandowski Professional Corporation. Tobias handles his own matters while assisting Mr. Lewandowski on his larger files. He believes in achieving the best possible results for clients while keeping them updated throughout the stressful process.
Tobias Okada-Phillips – A Belief in Advocacy at All Stages of the Legal Process
Tobias won an important Charter decision on the controversial victim surcharge by alleging a breach of the client’s equality rights.The novel argument has far-reaching implications and garnered important media attention and commentary. One of Tobias’ cases also attracted national media coverage after his client was subject to a fake fentanyl bust.
At trial, Tobias has appeared before the Ontario and Superior Courts of Justice and has achieved the following notable results:
- Acquittal on a home invasion style robbery through successful Charter motion for breach of an accused’s right to a fair trial;
- Withdrawal of robbery allegations after successful exclusion of a key witness statement;
- Acquittal of a choking, robbery, and assault allegation where the Crown was seeking penitentiary time;
- Withdrawal of sexual assault allegations after successful cross-examination of the complainant;
- Acquittal of serious domestic violence allegations where the Crown tendered persuasive photographic evidence;
- Withdrawal of serious sexual offences after cross-examination revealed troubling Charter non-compliance; and
- A successful sentence appeal which overturned the lower Court’s sentencing decision after introducing persuasive new evidence.
Tobias Okada-Phillips also believes in advocacy at all stages of the process, having negotiated withdrawals for contentious sexual assault, fraud, break and enter, and drug charges. For instance, the Crown withdrew contentious drug charges on the eve of trial after a persuasive Charter application was filed with the Court.
Prior to working with Mr. Lewandowski, Tobias worked at a class action firm and as a legal consultant at Deloitte. Tobias graduated from Queen’s Law School and obtained a Bachelor’s Degree (Honours) from the University of Toronto.